Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Pedagogy

My teaching pedagogy has been developed from my learnings from theorists, mentors and my practicum experiences. However I believe in order to be the best teacher I can possibly be, my teaching pedagogy is constantly developing and restructuring. As a teacher, I should be constantly challenging myself to explore and find new and innovative teaching ideas for my students. It is through this that I feel I am able to be flexible within my teaching in order to cater for the fact that my classroom may not always be the same. A classroom can be completely different from the day before and its through this experience that I feel I need to constantly have a wide and flexible teaching pedagogy. 

Although I have ideas about my future classroom structure, it is of my understanding that students are the centre of the classroom structure. With saying this, is the belief that every student is an individual, a person and a unique learner and this means that every classroom environment will be different. I believe that all students deserve the right to have the same opportunities to learn. In a classroom this means creating learning experiences that cater to the needs of all learners. As a teacher, I believe that my students are here to learn educationally but also have physical, emotional and social needs that need to be catered for as well.Through catering for students in all aspects, you are creating the chance for students to develop as a person. 

In my opinion, a classroom environment should be an open environment. Students should be able to be confident active learners and participate in all aspects of classroom life. There are many aspects to creating a positive classroom. A few of these that I highly focus on are always being positive, reinforcing positive behaviour and making learning relevant for students. In making learning relevant for students, it creates the opportunity for students to make connections between their own world experiences and the knowledge they are learning. It is through connections that students can gain skills and experiences needed for everyday life situations. 

As I believe classrooms should be student-centred, I highly believe in using techniques such as whole class discussion, whole class questioning, peer discussion and questioning, small group work and learning centres. I believe students have a very strong influence on each other and have actively seen this in my prac experiences. Students working together is also creating communication and team skills which I deem as necessary for students to be able to use in all aspects of their life. 

It is my passion for students to leave my classroom with both a wealth of knowledge and highly memorable learning experiences. I wish for all my students to feel confident in their own abilities, their ability to learn and to take all opportunities given regardless of the outcome. As stated above, I feel my teaching pedagogy is constantly developing and this is what I have felt has been developed so far. I look forward to all my teaching experiences to provide me with more insight and more ideas about teaching!

Tukuafu, K. (n.d.). Teaching Pedagogy [Web log post]. Retrieved November 19, 2017, from https://acukayla.weebly.com/teaching-pedagogy.html

No comments:

Post a Comment